Inspired by DCWV's First Noel stack, I created this scripture-based advent calendar for our family to enjoy during the Christmas season:
* mini brown paper sacks (available at Michaels in the gift wrap section, sold in packs of 24)
* the First Noel Stack by DCWV (released last year, 2012)
* embellishments like jingle bells, twine, sequins, wood veneer, washi tape, doilies
* gold glitter and gold foil cardstock (by DCWV, available in various stacks)
* thick ribbons (for clipping the bags to and hanging the frame)
* a large frame
* clothespins (I used mini ones and decorated some with gold glitter and others with washi tape)
Choose several designs from the First Noel Stack. Trim rectangles to fit the fronts of the paper bags. Distress the edges of the papers with gold metallic ink, then adhere to bags.
Using a die-cut machine (I used my Silhouette Cameo), cut numbers 1 through 24 out of the gold cardstocks. Adhere numbers and embellishments to the bags. Use dimensional adhesive for some of the numbers.
Cut ribbons to stretch across your frame. Because these bags are very light, I simply taped my ribbons to the back of my frame with strong packing tape. However, you might want to staple or glue your ribbons in place.
Place a scripture reference (or complete verse) in each bag. We chose scriptures about our Savior - from the Christmas story, moments from his ministry, and other testimony of Him from throughout the scriptures. Clip the bags in order to the ribbons. Hang with an additional ribbon.
Each night, after we read a story from our Christmas Storybook advent, we pull out our scriptures and look up the verse for the day. We've discovered that it's a great way to keep our Christmas celebration Christ-centered, in a simple, daily manner.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you are enjoying your holiday season :). Merry Christmas! Tessa