Monday, October 1, 2012

Wedding, Part 1 (and a winner!)

After pulling together my photos from my sister's wedding, I decided to write up two separate posts for sharing. Today's installment is what I made for wearing - corsages, boutonnieres, etc. Tomorrow's will be all about the wedding decor. Elizabeth's colors were orange, aqua and ivory with a touch of brown. The theme was vintage - handmade - outdoors. Inspired by Martha Stewart boutonnieres that I had seen online awhile back, I created these boutonnieres for the groomsmen and fathers:


Made of sticks from a tree on my parents' property, feathers, and beaded sprays from hydrangeahippo, everyone thought these were the coolest boutonnieres they had seen in a long time. One groomsman with an attitude thought they were weird, but hey - what does he know? Obviously nothing ;).


I simply attached two twigs together, added a feather, then added the sprays. I wrapped them all together at the bottom with a satin aqua and brown polka dot ribbon by American Crafts. I've had this ribbon for years and am so glad that I held onto it!


The leaves are made from pages of Elizabeth's favorite book (an another theme in the wedding decor), Pride and Prejudice. I glued them to the back of the boutonnieres and then added a gold jewelry safety-pin. A corsage pin would not have held these.


The groom's boutonniere was a bit different. Karl's had a larger feather, as well as a special touch to his leaves. See it? Sorry for the poor photo - I had to get him his boutonniere as soon as it was made and didn't have time to photograph it properly.


I managed to find a part of the book that read "Elizabeth accepted..." How perfect is that?! For the bridesmaids, I made these necklaces:


Not only did I make the flower (a ruffle blossom that you can find in my shop here), but I also made the beaded part - holy moly, making four of these was good practice! I am not a beader, but I think they came out pretty well. Just don't look too closely ;).

I made similar flowers for the mothers to wear as corsages:


And then petite little hair clips for the two little nieces (their dresses were aqua):


It was so much fun to make things I don't ordinarily make, especially for my sister. Tomorrow I'll share more Pride and Prejudice-inspired things and a handy way to hang muslin from the ceiling. See you then!

***

WINNER: For those of you who played along with my 500 Facebook likes giveaway, I am sorry for the delay in posting a winner. We had yet another wedding last weekend (other side of the family). The randomly selected winner of a $10.00 credit to the shop is...


Debbie, email me at precociouspaper (at) yahoo (dot) com and I will let you know how to redeem your prize.

6 comments:

  1. Tessa - these are simply...AMAZING! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfect and unique! Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun! What a great way to make a wedding truly unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, Tessa! Looking forward to seeing more of the wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Groomsmen are generally not exposed to creative boutonnieres such as this. They are used to simple flowers and corsage. A little creativity and shocking element of surprise for a couple's set of wedding ceremony supplies can be fun too, eh?;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!