Sunday, January 2, 2011

Lesson to Learn

As many of us take the time to ponder our past and make goals for our futures, I find the new challenge at The Studio perfectly timed: Hindsight is a wonderful thing - it allows you to realise mistakes and grow from them. Have you made a mistake? With hindsight, looking back, is there something that's happened to you that you would deal with differently next time around? Create a page based on your experience and tell us what you'd change, if you could.


As the journaling reads, I did not do well with a move my family made when I was a teenager. I went to three different high schools that year - who wouldn't have a rough time? But years later, when my own little family made a big move, I remembered the lessons I had learned and had a much better experience. I really wish I could go back in time and make lemonade out of that earlier experience, but I am content to know that I learned from my mistakes.


I didn't have a photo that would help tell my story, so I opted for journaling only. To make my page about a difficult move from Utah to California more interesting, I created a California-shaped journaling space by printing out clipart, using it as a mask for misting, and then stitching the image's edge.


I used the Precocious Paper January Sampler, "Sunshine in My Soul" to embellish this page, specifically the Classic Ivory Rolled Fabric Flower and the Daffodil Dyed Cardboard Flower.  I took the bottom layer off of the cardboard flower and used it on the right-hand edge.  I love to combine my flowers with Prima flowers - the mix of textures and colors is really pretty, I think :).

I hope to see you playing along at The Studio!  Don't forget to stop by the blog to check out the rest of the design team's takes.  I still have a handful of January Samplers on hand, and if you purchase one, all additional items will ship for free :).  Have a wonderful Sunday! Tessa

7 comments:

  1. Love this page Tessa. I would never have thought about using a map as a mask. I love California and would have much preferred it to Utah - but I know when your a teenager it must be difficult to move schools and adjust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this page! It is beautiful, creative and so meaningful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love love this Tessa! I am loving that you used a mask of the state for your journaling!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my Precocious Paper order today. Love the flowers. They are gorgeous. Thanks Tessa. Can't wait to create something fun with them. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your entire blog and all of your projects are beautiful! REALLY! How inspiring and wonderful your style is! :) Thanks for sharing your talent with us. :)

    - Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your layout! The colors, misting, flowers - everything looks so wonderful together! And that journaling spot is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tessa!! Just wanted to quickly say hi! and that I LOVE your work. I look forward to working alongside you in 2011 at the Studio Challenges and cannot wait to see what beautiful things you come up with. I have also become a follower of your beautiful blog. Take care, Nadia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!