Friday, May 9, 2014

Front Door Friday - Butterfly Wreath


Hello and happy Friday! Next week is supposed to be a string of 90-degree days, so my latest wreath is all about warm, summery colors:


When I first sat down to design this wreath, I chose my yarn colors: mustard, strawberry, burnt orange and raspberry. I thought it would be fun to kind of "ombre" the colors from dark to light. While my skeins of yarn and wreath base were sitting on the table, I unpacked some scrapbooking supplies I had just bought at JoAnn's. I set a package of chipboard butterflies near my wreath materials and it suddenly hit me - I want butterflies on this wreath! The chipboard ones I had just bought wouldn't work, so on my next trip to Michaels I picked up some feather butterflies that matched.


To make the wreath, I started by wrapping the yarn. When I was done wrapping the blocks of color, I took strands of the yarn and overlapped them onto the next color, trying to create a "fade" kind of effect. I like the way it looks and I'll keep playing to see if I can make it even more realistic.


The felt roses are all from my Etsy shop.



I've got several other butterfly wreaths pinned to my Wreaths Pinterest board. I don't think this is the last time I'll give butterflies a go. I'm already thinking of other color combinations, or even just an orange monarch butterfly wreath....

Thanks for stopping by today! Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!