Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Paper Flower Monograms - Mother's Day Gifts

Hello! Today I am sharing the mother's day gifts that I made my mom and mother-in-law.


I was inspired by a friend who made a shadow box with a floral ring for her mother, and I based my design on this print, found in this Etsy shop:


I started with 11x14 canvases, and after applying gesso, I painted them glossy black. For the flowers, I used my Silhouette Cameo and 3d flower cut files. I specifically used this one, this one, and this one. I sized the flowers so that each canvas had two large ones, three medium flowers, and several smaller flowers.


After cutting the flowers, I painted each side of each layer with Color Shine. I didn't mist the Color Shine, I used a brush. This part took awhile, and used quite a bit of mist, but I loved the result. I let the layers partially dry, then curled the petals with my fingers. I let them fully dry before gluing the layers together.



I chose not to use the flower centers in the cut files because I had centers and stamen of my own. Several months ago my father-in-law gave me a huge box of vintage flower-making supplies that I had yet to touch. When I combed through the box with this project in mind, I found so much great stuff! The black stamen, the white and black centers, the brown paper-wrapped wire and the velvet leaves are all from this box. They were delicate because they were so old, but they were wonderful to work with!



To finish the canvases I cut each mom's initial with my Silhouette and adhered it to the center. I love how they turned out so much that I am definitely going to make one for Adlyn's nursery. I think red, aqua and yellow will be really pretty!

Thanks for stopping by today! Tessa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!